What should my submission say?

    Only submissions that relate to relevant planning matters can be considered as part of the assessment of the development application. Please ensure your comments relate to specific elements of the application and how these may impact either your own property or amenity (eg odour, dust, noise). You may attach additional information (plans, diagrams, photographs, etc.) as required. 

    We cannot consider feedback that relates to non-planning matters including:

    • Perceived loss of property value;
    • Perceived anti-social behaviour;
    • Potential residents or tenants;
    • Private disputes between neighbours including access and egress and easements;
    • Dividing fence issues;
    • Matters that are usually dealt with by the building permit process;
    • Impact of construction work;
    • Trade competition concerns (in most circumstances);
    • Personal morals or views about the applicant or City officers dealing with the application;
    • Matters that are controlled under other legislation.

    What will happen to my submission?

    When assessing a development application, we have a duty to consider all relevant factors in an objective and impartial manner. Submissions from the community help us by highlighting local issues and concerns.

    Will the applicant or anyone else know that I have made a submission?

    The City and applicants have a right to review any submission you make.  

    If the proposal is determined by Council, your submission is also made public and may be included in a table of submissions. If you would like your details to remain confidential, you will need to note this in your submission. Your name and address will be suppressed, however your comments will still be made available. 

    If I am satisfied with the proposed development application, do I have to make a submission?

    If you wish to provide a letter of support or no objection, you can do so in writing.

    Who will make a decision on the application?

    Depending on the proposal, City officers in the Statutory Planning Team have delegation to issue planning decisions. Some proposals may require determination by virtue of a Council meeting.

    Can I attend a Council meeting (if applicable)?

    Members of the public are welcome to attend Council meetings. Meetings are held on the second Thursday of the month from February to December, in Council Chambers, 9 Coleville Crescent, Spearwood, commencing at 7pm.

    What's a Joint Development Assessment Panel?

    A Development Assessment Panel (DAP) is an independent decision-making body which includes technical experts and elected local government members. These panels determine development applications made under local and region planning schemes, in the place of the original decision maker.

    Joint development assessment panels (JDAPs) are established to service two or more local government districts where those local governments do not have enough development to support their own DAP. Each JDAP consists of five panel members, three being specialist members and two local government Elected members.

    The Metropolitan South-West Joint Assessment Panel oversees the following local government areas:

    • Cockburn
    • East Fremantle
    • Fremantle
    • Mandurah
    • Murray
    • Rockingham
    • Kwinana

    Certain types of planning applications are required to be determined by the JDAP.

    For further information on JDAPs, visit the Department of Planning Joint Development Assessment Panels websiteopens in a new window.

    South West JDAP agendas and minutes are available on the Joint Development Assessment Panels South-West agendas and minutes pageopens in a new window

    Can a decision be appealed by a person who has made a submission?

    Third party appeal rights do not exist in WA. The applicant who lodged the development application has a right of appeal on a decision within 28 days under the State Administrative Act 2004 via the State Administrative Tribunal.

    Will I be advised about the outcome of the development application?

    Yes. If you have made a submission during the consultation period, you will be advised in writing of the decision.

    What is a scheme amendment?

    From time to time, it becomes necessary to amend the City's Town Planning Scheme No. 3 (TPS No.3). When a change is proposed or made to TPS No.3, it is referred to as a scheme amendment. These changes can be proposed by landowners, State Government agencies or the City itself. The decision to initiate a scheme amendment is however at the discretion of the City (which has no appeal rights), and once initiated the City becomes responsible for progressing a scheme amendment.

    Scheme amendments occur for a variety of different reasons including:

    • A change in zoning to accommodate development
    • A change in the residential density coding to alter residential density
    • A change in the scheme's wording to ensure more effective planning
    • To implement the strategic vision of the local planning strategy
    • To ensure orderly and proper planning.

    What is the scheme amendment process?

    Section 75 of the Planning and Development Act 2005 provides for local governments to amend a local planning scheme. A scheme amendment becomes operative when approved by the Minister for Planning and published in the Government Gazette. The procedure for amending a town planning scheme is set out in the State Government‘s Planning and Development (Local Planning Schemes) Regulations 2015.

    What is a local structure plan?

    A structure plan illustrates the proposed structure and layout of a future development area. 

    The preparation of a structure plan is one of the first steps taken in order to progress a proposal for the development of a new urban area. Structure plans illustrate key road configurations and the location of retail and community facilities such as shops, schools and public open spaces, as well as details such as housing density, land use classifications and buffer zones.

    Structure plans can be prepared for a variety of planning purposes, but are generally done to indicate the way in which an area is proposed for development as well as providing a broad framework to guide Council when it considers subdivision and development proposals. 

    A local structure plan deals with residential density, subdivision, and the coordination of infrastructure on a neighbourhood or smaller scale.