How can I find out more about the planning application process?

    To find out more, click here.

    What should my submission say?

    Only submissions that relate to relevant planning matters can be considered as part of the assessment of the development application. Please ensure your comments relate to specific elements of the application and how these may impact either your own property or amenity (eg odour, dust, noise). You may attach additional information (plans, diagrams, photographs, etc.) as required. 

    We cannot consider feedback that relates to non-planning matters including:

    • Perceived loss of property value;
    • Perceived anti-social behaviour;
    • Potential residents or tenants;
    • Private disputes between neighbours including access and egress and easements;
    • Dividing fence issues;
    • Matters that are usually dealt with by the building permit process;
    • Impact of construction work;
    • Trade competition concerns (in most circumstances);
    • Personal morals or views about the applicant or City officers dealing with the application;
    • Matters that are controlled under other legislation.

    What will happen to my submission?

    When assessing a development application, we have a duty to consider all relevant factors in an objective and impartial manner. Submissions from the community help us by highlighting local issues and concerns.

    Will the applicant or anyone else know that I have made a submission?

    The City and applicants have a right to review any submission you make.  

    If the proposal is determined by Council, your submission is also made public and may be included in a table of submissions. If you would like your details to remain confidential, you will need to note this in your submission. Your name and address will be suppressed, however your comments will still be made available. 

    If I am satisfied with the proposed development application, do I have to make a submission?

    If you wish to provide a letter of support or no objection, you can do so in writing.

    What's a Joint Development Assessment Panel?

    A Development Assessment Panel (DAP) is an independent decision-making body which includes technical experts and elected local government members. These panels determine development applications made under local and region planning schemes, in the place of the original decision maker.

    Joint development assessment panels (JDAPs) are established to service two or more local government districts where those local governments do not have enough development to support their own DAP. Each JDAP consists of five panel members, three being specialist members and two local government Elected members.

    The Metropolitan South-West Joint Assessment Panel oversees the following local government areas:

    • Cockburn
    • East Fremantle
    • Fremantle
    • Mandurah
    • Murray
    • Rockingham
    • Kwinana

    Certain types of planning applications are required to be determined by the JDAP.

    For further information on JDAPs, visit the Department of Planning Joint Development Assessment Panels websiteopens in a new window.

    South West JDAP agendas and minutes are available on the Joint Development Assessment Panels South-West agendas and minutes pageopens in a new window

    Can a decision be appealed by a person who has made a submission?

    Third party appeal rights do not exist in WA. The applicant who lodged the development application has a right of appeal on a decision within 28 days under the State Administrative Act 2004 via the State Administrative Tribunal.

    Will I be advised about the outcome of the development application?

    Yes. If you have made a submission during the consultation period, you will be advised in writing of the decision.